Some ponts to consider when producing news stories for radio:
- needs to be clear, concise and simple
- will only go out once
- top line- summary in one-line to catch attention. Needs to be engaging, catchy, interesting and informative.
- Pub door test- imagine walking into a pub, “hey everyone, guess what…” and all heads are turned on you and listening.
- Mini ‘Hey’-2nd most interesting fact
- 3rd leads into interview
- Never assume that people know the story- Ibiza test-they’ve just come back from holidays
- Cornflake test- makes someone stop in the middle of eating their favourite breakfast cereal.
- KISS-keep it simple stupid
- 3 par cue-Hey, Mini Hey, Cue
- Wrap or donut -reporter, clip, reporter
- Pegs and Hooks-making an old story relevant. change top line , maybe new stats have come out. Fresh line. Story continues to unfold.